Brookmans Park Official Opening 1930
Brookmans Park Golf Club 1st Tee
Six hundred years ago the area now covered by the village of Brookmans Park consisted of two manor houses - 'Brokemans', originally known as Mymme Hall and owned by John Brokeman and 'More Hall' later to be known as Gubbins or Gobions and owned by the More family.
In 1500 More Hall was occupied by Sir John More, judge and father to Sir Thomas More the chancellor executed by Henry VIII in 1535.
Samuel Gaussen acquired 'Brookmans Manor' in 1786. His grandson, Robert William Gaussen, having inherited the estate, bought the adjoining Manor of Gubbins in 1838, demolished the great house, adding the land to enlarge his 'Brookmans' estate. On his death the estate passed to his son Robert George Gaussen, who when on a cruising holiday on his yacht in 1891, learned the horrible news that a painter using a blowlamp in the exterior redecoration of Brookmans Manor had completely destroyed the great house.
The mansion was never rebuilt, but the stables were converted into a fine manor house where the family continued to live until the estate was sold for development
When the London & North Eastern Railway built a new station at Brookmans Park in 1926, with direct services to Kings Cross and Broad Street, an 18 hole parkland golf course was built to attract new house buyers to Brookmans Park. The converted manor house became what is todays club house.
In 1980 the club celebrated its 50th anniversary and a copy of the commemorative brochure can be viewed through the link opposite.